Your camping holiday on the beach between arts and culture
Seeing is believing ...
The town of Orbetello lies in the middle of the homonymous lagoon, in a unique, suggestive position, and is linked to Mount Argentario through a dam. The Orbetello lagoon is separated from the sea by two natural intersections: Tombolo della Feniglia to the East and Tombolo della Giannella to the West, which, together with the lagoon, constitute one of the many WWF Oases in Tuscany.
Duna Feniglia Reserve is a sandy belt of land linked to a coast village called Ansedonia and to Porto Ercole, the renowned Monte Argentario town. The Tombolo della Feniglia features sandy dunes, junipers, thick pinewoods with maritime pine trees, a rich undergrowth, evergreen oaks, as well as rare Salicornias, edible plants that were used by the ancient Vikings in their long sea travels.
The Tombolo della Giannella is a sandy strip of land linking the coastal settlement of Albinia to the Northern area of Mount Argentario . This is the amazing setting that hosts Orbetello Camping Village. The Giannella area, with its sandy beaches and pinewoods, is treasured by visitors for its suggestive position. The natural environment features remarkable fauna, such as owls, foxes and porcupines.
From the lagoon waters, there emerges the remarkable Molino Spagnolo, an ancient mill built by the Senesi (Siena people), and later restored by the Spanish. As all mills now lost, it was used by the citizens to grind wheat.
Orbetello’s Museo Civico displays a host of utensils and other archaeological remains found in the surrounding territory, as reminders of its Etruscan heritage. The ancient Mura Ciclopiche (Cyclopes Walls) and the buildings found there - both dating back to the 16th Century b.C. – attest to the thriving port activity in the Roman epoch. The discovery of the Orbetello necropolises has brought back to life some rich funereal paraphernalia belonging to its aristocracy.
The ancient fortresses in the territory date back to the 16th Century, namely to 1557 when Philip II King of Spain established a State of Presidia including the towns of Porto Ercole, Porto Santo Stefano, Ansedonia, Talamone and Orbetello. Another building that was commissioned by the Spanish, dating back to 1692, is the Polveriera Guzman, where Garibaldi in 1860 got the ammunition supplies he needed to take up the famous Expedition of the Thousand.
Piazza della Repubblica hosts the Cathedral of Santa Maria Assunta. Erected on an ancient Etruscan temple, it was embellished in 1375 in a gothic style, under commission by the Orsini, a family of noble Guelfi who occupied Orbetello in the 14th Century.